Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Last Day in BJ.

Less than 24 hours until I load my oversized suitcase out of Tsinghua University to the Peking Capital Airport.  I've already started packing my belongings into my luggage.  If fits, barely, but the weight limit will certainly be tested.  While it is 3 p.m. in Iowa on Wednesday night, I will be riding in my last cab ride at an early 4 a.m. Thursday morning before the sun even rises.  (I found out first hand in Inner Mongolia the sun rises at 5:50. )  

How am I spending my last day in BJ?  Sitting outside the Dongzhimen subway in a small enclosed "park".  This however is more accurately described as a right angle flower garden blocking off the loud highway traffic. (Recently installed as Beijing's attempt at a "greener" Olympics).   The area has wi-fi.

 I hadn't intentionally transferred twice and sat 15 subway stops to use the internet thirty minutes away from my dorm.  No, I had failed to find the bus station to Fragrant Hills.  A grand and historical hill, the hike to the top accords a skyline of Beijing on a clear day. And today's sky featured a splash of baby blue as a result of last night's thunderstorm.   The bus stops located near Dongzhimen station include schedules to areas away from Haidian Province.  

Rather than lamenting on this rather disappointing conclusion, I decided to enjoy the day like the locals.  I could take my shoes off and fall asleep on the wooden seat, copying the two men sitting a bush away.  It actually looks slightly more comfortable than the cement bed that I slept in the Mongolian yurt.  Instead, I think I will hop on the subway and a pick another stop to explore.  

Zaijian!

Tonight I will be exploring the Wangfujing street snack market once again with a few friends.  After sampling the scorpion and starfish, I could try goat innards.  For the safety of my stomach on the long 17 hour flight to Cedar Rapids, however, I think I'll stick to the fruit on a stick and some already tested street wraps.   

Goodbye Beijing!

No comments: