Monday, August 18, 2008

The End.


It's the 18th.  That means Olympic tennis is over.  The seven days of crazy ball smacking frenzy is over.  It was sad walking out the gate knowing we wouldn't be back.  It certainly has been one of the best summers of my life.  More transformative than I predicted (or transformative in ways I didn't foresee).  In the mysterious ways that living abroad can foster a greater independence, more confidence, and a closer inspection of oneself, these things have happened.  I have built contacts and glimpsed the lifestyle I want to live.  More than before, I realize I want to pursue photography.  (Although I realize I have much progress to make before others can take me seriously).  I want my job to take me places internationally.  After speaking to journalists and talking to athletes about their worldly adventures, it only makes me want it more.  So this one time in Sydney.....

Highlights from the past few days.  

Yesterday:  I covered my last assignment the two sisters from Ukraine playing doubles against the Chinese duo for the bronze medal.  My hope was for Ukraines since I was appointmented to interview the two of them.  Their early mistakes, however, ended their Olympic hopes. With tears welling their eyes, they quickly walked past me without a word.  I was the only English speaking media waiting in the mixed zone for them and from their violence I knew not to even finish my sentence of asking for an interview.   We learned a basic journalism rule, be prepared to sit and sit...and then get nothing.  

The rest of the evening I spent at Center Court watching the end of the women's singles final (Safina v. Dementieva) and the men's singles final (Rafael v. Gonzalez).  It was surreal to be sitting in the finals high above for the Olympic medal finals.  Dementieva won in the three close sets, but Rafa shut out Gonzalez quickly by winning three straight sets.  The Olympic medal ceremony continued shortly after.  The volunteers quickly rolled out the red carpet for the athlete stars.  The Russians swept the women's singles.  In women's doubles, the Williams sisters took the top spot.  It gave me the chills watching the American flag being pumped up the flag pole and listening to the national anthem.  The Williams sisters squeezed each other's hands, it was a great moment.  Before exiting, each of the pairs walked around the circumference of the court, wrapped in their respective flags, roses in hand, Olympic medals dangling from their necks.  The crowd clapped and the speakers played the quirky, but much loved song, Beijing, Beijing, Wo ai Beijing (I love Beijing).  In the Olympic spirit, I found myself singing in tune, along with surrounding journalists.  Inside, I was laughing.   

Minutes later, Rafa, Gonzalez, and Novak strode out to step on the Olympic medal platform. Rafa raised one arm to appease the crowd, as a shy smile he couldn't stop spread across his face.  The large Espana crowd was jumping up and down.  I felt myself smiling as I watched the fanfare.  In the final shot, Rafa bit his gold medal for the pen of photographers.  Seats above, I tried my best to capture it with my Nikon.  

As the athletes left for the last time on the Olympic Tennis Green, I ran down the press tribune stairs to see the men in the mixed zone.  I missed Rafa and Gonzalez was M.I.A., but Novak was only a few feet away.  I did an excited job to catch up.  Before security took over, I patted Novak's Serbian sweatsuit, and told him good job.  A minute later, I was scolded for my unprofessionalism.  I didn't really care though, it was well worth it.  

Next, two other co-volunteers and I took to center court.  We stood on the Olympic platform, sat in the official's chair, and I hopped down into the photo moat.  As we were leaving, a media clump surrounding Gonzalez blocked our exit.  I was standing an arm's length away from the silver medalist.  

We left, grabbed our stuff from the ONS office, leaving for the last time.  Our other co-volunteers that watched the final match from the t.v. there, told us they said hi to Venus as she walked in to ask for a Florida pin from our sweet supervisor Sandy.   It was a good day for everyone.  

No comments: