Monday, August 11, 2008

Day One Tennis.

Due to rain delays, most of tennis was cancelled.  

I was assigned to interview Ernests Gulbis.  The 19 year old, up and coming player.  He went to the quarterfinals at the French Open where he played Novak Djokovic, who was his training buddy for two years during his youth..   If you didn't get enough of his bio, he is the only tennis player representing Lativa in the men's singles.  His surprising serve was his element that kept him from being broke several times against the power player No. 4 player Nickolay Davydenko from Russia. In the mixed zone, after I waited for broadcast to ask him questions in Lativian and Russian (English was never spoken, except when I asked him questions), I knew my expected 10 minute window to deliver the flash quotes immediately after the match was gone.  I was a bit shaky when it finally came my turn to ask my questions that I kept repeating in my head, to avoid forgetting them in a moment of nervousness.  Gulbis, however, seemed relaxed and despite losing in the first round and ending his first Olympic run, smiled a little.  

From the interview, I gathered that Gulbis wasn't feeling well (dehydrated and a stomach illness- too much Chinese food? --jk), and as a result, wasn't playing up to his usual level.  However, I can't give any more details than that.  Speed walking back to the ONS office, fully consumed to listening to my tape recorder and jotting down notes as quickly as possible, I collided with a young Chinese spectator.  I apologized and continued on, only to bump into someone else again.  

After a few more rain delays, I watched Serena Williams play for two games on Center Court, until her match was delayed again, and then later, cancelled.   

In the ONS office, between matches and rain delays, we watched live Olympic coverage, including Michael Phelps winning his first gold medal and breaking a world record.  


No comments: