Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Working Woman




Today I had my first day of work and I wish I could say it went without a hitch.  That would be a lie however.  It began when we started walking to Wudaokou.  We caught a cab, which unusually wasn't hard today, despite the new rule that kicked half of Beijing's cars off the road.  Nick, in the front seat, pointed to the Chinese characters saying Green Olympic Venue on the back of our credentials.  Whether the driver didn't understand then and failed to tell us or discovered it as he started driving, he never made it there.  Instead after a 22 kuai ride, he dropped us off at the Bird's Nest, also known as the National Stadium.  We continued to walk in what we thought was the direction of the tennis venue, but we made it to the International Broadcasting Center (IBC) before a phone call from a friend told us we should get another cab if we wanted to make it to training on time.  Elena, our supervisor, spoke hard, fast Chinese to the driver to explain the correct location. I guess I could consider it a scenic tour, as we sped past the Olympic village, marked by the impressively lavish gate.  Further distinguishing it was the gold, silver, and bronze Olympic metals decorating the iron fence.  We arrived five minutes early outside the gate.  Security, however, was sure to make us late.  After placing our bag in the scanner, just like the ones recently installed in the subway.  We walked through the security doorframe and heard the annoying beep.  Out came the wands.  In addition, we were asked if they could check our bags.  Each item and pocket was examined.  I was asked to use any questionable items, including my camera (take a picture), my phone (push a button), and because I was almost out of water, I was saved from taking a drink.  The security was thorough, but excessive.  Most of the volunteers working behind the scanners spoke English, but many of their phrases seemed freshly learned with only a surface of understanding.  

Once inside, I have to admit, I was very excited.  We walked down to the basement, under the Center Court.  We were surrounded by media outlets.  Photography headquarters (of tennis) was only a few doors down from our ONS (Olympic News Service) office.  After introductions of the flash quote reporters (half Chinese, half American, and one Mexican), we did a short tour of the main court and the mixed zone.  Before we left the room, however, Elena tested our Wimbledon knowledge by giving us a quiz over the tournament's highlights.  I did so/so, but after our supervisor announced our schedule it sounds like I don't have to worry about being weak on my tennis trivia.  We will be spending the next few weeks (one or two days off) studying all the athletes coming to the Games.  This includes their names, countries, and tennis background.  I don't think I'll mind looking at Federer though.  Just checking to see if you are reading this dad :)  We have yet to get our uniforms, however, because they are mysteriously missing five of the uniforms.  Maybe better luck tomorrow!  

No comments: